Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Cancer...It's What We Do Here, Day 3 (continued)

After our conversation with Dr. Fafinski it was time go back and see Mom.

She was resting in a hospital bed while the "I don't care juice" that they gave her during the procedure wore off. She was the last patient that day so the room was quiet. The doctors and nurses started to go home for the day. One nurse stayed behind to make sure that Mom was good to go home and to give us detailed instructions on caring for the bile drain.

Mom shared with me what happened after they took her behind the doors to the restricted area. Mom told me that when the nurses started preparing her for the procedure one nurse lifted up her gown to and noticed the large scar from Mom's gall-bladder removal gone wrong surgery (the surgeons told us that her scar was only four to six inches long at the time of her surgery. They lied. It was more like ten inches long). The nurse reacted, "Oh honey, you have been through a lot already haven't you?" She continued, "You cancer patients amaze me, cancer patients are the strongest and bravest."The nurses gave my mom what they called "I don't care juice" and started the procedure.

Mom felt Dr. Fafinski stabbing at her liver trying to find a place to insert the drain. She said as she felt the pain she thought about the Atonement and how Christ not only suffered for our sins but felt all of our pain as well. As she focused on this the pain subsided, there was now only a little discomfort. The nurse noticed the discomfort on Mom's face, "Let's give you some more I don't care juice."

Through out our time at Huntsman we had kind of been making fun of the nurses because on the first day we were there one of the nurses very vocally expressed her concern with getting her lunch for two hours and then when she finally did go to lunch she announced that she was off in an hour. Mom made sure that I knew said once they got behind the doors the nurses were amazing.

The nurse that stayed with us while the "I don't care juice" wore off was an older woman named Judy. She told my Grandma that she had been a nurse for over 30 years. I could tell that Mom completely trusted her after the tine they shared behind the restricted area doors. Judy walked us through changing the bandages, cleaning the small incision sight, and emptying the drain. I took notes and focused on every word she said so that I would remember everything when we got home. When we were done Judy started to collect supplies for us as we started to get mom ready for the trip home.

 Mom was sitting on the edge of the hospital bed as we prepared her to leave. She help the bag connected to the tube that went into her liver and she started to cry. "I don't want to do this." she said. I tried to comfort and calm her down. "Let me just have a moment," she said as I tried to tell her everything would be okay that she and all of us could do this. I thought to myself if anyone deserved to have a moment it was her so I let her get everything out. Judy came back said something to Mom that I couldn't hear. It seemed to calm her down.

When she was calm enough to get up Judy helped her to the bathroom. Judy left her alone for a few minutes and continued to gather supplies for us. Mom started crying again. We could hear mom sobbing through the walls. Nurse Judy went back in. Soon they both emerged from the bathroom. Mom again settled down. We put her in a wheelchair and headed back downstairs.

Dad went to get the car. The rest of us sat in the lobby. Mom said with tears in her eyes, "Jon Huntsman is a great man." I agreed and teared up as well.

Leaving that day we were so thankful that Jon Huntsman had a vision for the Huntsman Cancer Institute and that his execution of that vision helped Mom and many others like her have more time, a better quality of life, in some cases a cure, but above all things hope.


No comments:

Post a Comment