Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Advice: Everyone Is Free To Wear Sunscreen

I am having a hard time writing the rest of cancer story. I am not sure how to put Mom's last weeks of life into words just yet. So I write about other things.

Recently one of our Target team members left Target to pursue a bigger dream. This girl started working at Target when she was in high school. I like to think of the high schoolers as growing up at Target so when one of them decides it is time to spread their wings I get nostalgic. I get nostalgic for a time and a place when  I was younger, fearless, and ready to conquer the world.
(I get nostalgic a lot lately.) 

We had a going away dinner for our Sarah and one of the girls said that they felt like they should say something inspirational. What advice do you give to a small town girl fearlessly heading out into the world to pursue her big city dreams?

 "Everyone is Free to Wear Sunscreen" was mentioned.

 I hadn't thought about it for at least ten years and then there I was later that night watching it on YouTube over and over again. 

Watching this at 34 years old. Different things stood out. Some advice included I felt like I needed to be reminded of, there was other advice that made me think "so true." Some of the advice made me laugh, some of it made me cry. Needless to say I was inspired all over again by the advice that Dayna and I listened to over and over again in 1999.



My favorites quotes from "Everyone Is Free To Wear Sunscreen":

Do something everyday that scares you.

Sing.

Don't waste your time with jealousy. Sometimes you're ahead, sometimes you're behind. The race is long. And in the end it is only with yourself.

Enjoy your body, use it every way you can. Don't be afraid of it or of what other people think of it. It is the greatest instrument you will ever own.

Dance.

Get to know your parents you never know when they will be gone for good.

The older you get the more you need the people who knew you when you were young.






No comments:

Post a Comment