Wednesday, November 14, 2012

30 Days Of Thankful: Day 10

I am thankful for Alex. My youngest cousin. My little hero.

She was the first one who had to be brave and strong. A little girl who had to fight big, bad brain tumors.

I went to see her about a few weeks before she died. At that point she could no longer walk or verbally communicate. I held her little hand while we looked at pictures of her on the beach that were taken on a trip to Texas for cancer treatment.

At some point during our visit she started stroking my arm and continued to do so until we got ready to leave. I have often reflected on that moment and thought that it was her way of letting me know that she was glad to see me. Sometimes I wonder if Alex wasn't comforting me during that time, trying to let me know that she was going to be okay.

No matter her intentions I learned a great deal from her in those moments. Something in my soul was awakened. I am still not sure that in this mortal state that I truly comprehend what my spirit learned. The best way I can describe it was I learned that compassion wasn't just  making a donation to a humanitarian aid organization or choosing an ornament from The Giving Tree at the mall. I learned that in its most powerful moments compassion is sitting next to someone and holding their hand, giving them simply a little bit of your time and all of yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment