Wednesday, December 19, 2012

December Traditions

Mom's Christmas Tree
Hi everyone! Sorry it has been so long since my last post, but as you can all imagine December is a busy month for us. After a day of helping guests, back up cashiering, and making sure the pajamas and sweaters are fully stocked, all I want to do is come home and relax.

Despite the craziness of working retail during the holiday season, there are a few things that I make it a point to do in December:

1) Decorate a Christmas tree while listening to my favorite Christmas album, 
John Denver and the Muppets: A Christmas Together.


Last Saturday we decorated Mom's tree one last time (see the picture of the beautiful tree above). 
I couldn't decorate that tree without John Denver and The Muppets.
We have listened to this album while decorating the tree since 1981. 
It lightened the mood and kept me from crying my eyes out.

and

2) Make candy with Grandma Black.

First we start with making fudge after Thanksgiving. 
We let the fudge ripen for a few weeks. About a week before Christmas we turn Grandma's kitchen into a candy factory.

We roll the fudge into bite-size balls.


Melt chocolate for dipping.


Then we get our hands messy and dip our chocolates.
There is nothing like the feeling of warm, melted chocolate between your fingers.

The end result are these yummy chocolates that we get to enjoy through Christmas and New Year's.


I hope you are all enjoying your own holiday traditions during this week before Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment