Wednesday, December 2, 2015

2016 Bash Your Stash Challenge

The current state of my craft room.

I knew I had a problem when I was at Michael's a few months ago and the friendly cashier said to me, "Have a good night. We will see you next Friday."
An alarm went off in my head, I had become a "regular" at the craft store. Not that there is anything wrong with being a "regular" anywhere. I never considered myself one of those "crazy scrapbookers" that I used to see buying up super mega packs of paper or miles and miles of ribbon. I have always just bought what caught my eye; never bought supplies in bulk, never loaded up a truck at warehouse sale. 

But it is time to face the truth:
I am a crazy, hoarding supplies like there is no tomorrow, scrapbooking lady.
 
Okay, I said it. I feel so much better.

When my crafting hero, Heidi Swapp says, "make pretty stuff," I hear, "buy pretty stuff." Becky Higgins tells me, "cultivate a good life and record it," I hear, "cultivate a good life and buy it." Products from these two are my current addiction. 
While I have current favorites I also have favorites from my nearly 20 years of scrapbooking that I can never get rid of because, 
     A) they don't make it anymore
     B) I still intend to create that album
     C) it is just too pretty to get rid of.
It's Making Memories people, at the time I bought it was some of the best product out there.

So I had an idea. What if I challenge myself to use my stash for a whole year. I mean I love the stuff in my stash. I should get it out, use it, put it on display in an album, share it with others, and enjoy it.
With this in mind the 2016 Bash Your Stash Challenge was born. 

I will pay for prints, ink, adhesives, and sheet protectors. Other than that I will only use products from my stash in 2016.

I invite you all to join me January 1, 2016 for the Bash Your Stash Challenge. I really want this to be fun for everyone and I already have some ideas to share. I would love for us all to be able to share with each other. I have created the hashtag #bashyourstash2016,  feel free to start using it on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. I can't wait! This is going to be awesome!
 This is just the beginning. Stay tuned for more info.

Marcie


23 comments:

  1. This feels like such a good idea, I'm not sure I could keep it up for a whole year though! Not enough willpower! The thing I struggle most with is paper pads, I love them so keep buying them but never finish one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love paper pads too. Don't worry about doing it all year you can just check out what I am doing, what others are doing, and make it work for you.

      Delete
  2. Sounds good, been trying to do this for a year or more. I use the hashtag #useyourstash all the time on Instagram. I would love you to check out some of the stuff I've done too. Can't wait to see what you come up with

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely check out your Instagram. Check back it looks
      like we will be starting a Facebook group as well.

      Delete
  3. Sounds good, been trying to do this for a year or more. I use the hashtag #useyourstash all the time on Instagram. I would love you to check out some of the stuff I've done too. Can't wait to see what you come up with

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am definately with you there. Like Hayley, I'm not sure if I will last a year without some sort of pretty purchase. But I am absolutely onboard!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that would be really hard to do. I have a whole craft room filled with wonderful things I should use. But there is usually really awesome stuff that comes out the first of the year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always love the new lines at the beginning of a new year. The Valentine kits always get me with their red, black, and white color schemes.

      Delete
  6. I'm in! I don't think I'll last long, but maybe if I give myself a small budget for the year to start, that will help ease into it. Great idea, and I love the idea of a community of people trying to accomplish it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need to do this, but can't go a whole year. Well, I could, but I don't want yoo. I will start off the new year and go along as far as I can stand it. Lol! !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love this. I want everyone to participate at a level that works for them. My philosophy is that we all bought this great stuff and we should use it, appreciate it, and share it.

      Delete
  8. I need to do this, but can't go a whole year. Well, I could, but I don't want yoo. I will start off the new year and go along as far as I can stand it. Lol! !

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used to work in a craft store - enough said! Sounds like a brilliant idea. I can't promise I won't buy anything but I will do my best!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm in. I tried this on my own last year and probably bought more stuff than any other year before that! I plan to take myself off of a number of sites and email lists - that should help. Looking forward to seeing what you have in mind for the year. Thanks for doing this :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for joining us! I am so excited to see where this challenge takes us all next year.

      Delete
  11. My problem is that I am signed up for some swaps that you have to buy a certain paper line for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that swaps and clubs are great. And what is great is everyone can tailor the challenge to fit their own needs. The main thing is to use what you have, share what you have, and enjoy it.

      Delete
  12. I really need to do this, too. My crap . . . er, craft room looks like a scrapbook store that exploded! LOL So I am in the process of organizing said stash so I will be able to actually use it. This challenge sounds tailor made for me! Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for joining in. I am right there with you organizing my room as well. I just moved in to a house and all of my goodies have been in storage for six months. I still have so much to unpack.

      Delete
  13. Love the challenge. And I will definitely try to do my own. My craft/stash/spare bedroom is so full at the moment I'm not able to get in there without avalanches. It houses some of hubby's Lego as well, plus paperwork.

    My scrapbooking/sewing/quilting/yarn stash is all over the place, which - in addition to the messy room - really hinders me with doing something.

    And I definitely have to destash ... I've bought a couple of masks I already had in my stash somewhere already... and that has to change!!

    So... I'm late to the party, but will take part!! :D

    ReplyDelete